Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Hebrew Bible: Psalm 90:1-2

"A Prayer of Moses, the man of God.  Lord, you have been our dwelling place in all generations.  Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever you had formed the earth and the world, from everlasting to everlasting you are God." ~ Psalm 90:1-2


I dwell in You, O my Lord
Not beside the road
With no riches to my name;
For in You I am home
Without You I would be
No less homeless than
The girl on the city streets
Begging for food to feed
Her hungry cat
Indeed, should I walk up
To her as she leans angry
Against the bricks of the ancient
Tenement, her cat curled by 
Her feet at the end of the
Clothesline leash, frayed where
The knot has rubbed against itself;
Should I walk up to her smiling
And she bore her anguished
Eyes into my privileged soul
I would find my roommate
My bunk-mate, sister, friend
She has been in You since
The day you formed her tiny
Feet within her mother's womb
Since the day I first curled
Fetal within, I was her friend
O Lord, You are our dwelling place
Never has there been a place
Where we could not find Home

(c) 1 August 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment